Friday, August 22, 2008

Flying Tarp


Just a couple of days after writing about "Gators" on the road and other road debris, I saw a serious problem instantly develop on my drive into the city this morning.

A large rolled tarp fell off a truck in a center lane at 60 mph in heavy traffic.

A car right behind the truck had no choice but to run over it likely causing considerable damage as I could see the front wheel leave the ground.

The tarp immediately started opening and cars started swerving all over the highway. In my mirror I could see one car fly across three lanes onto the shoulder and back into traffic.

I don't know what eventually happened but it had to scare the hell out of many drivers.

As I always say, Leave Lots of Space Between Vehicles - AT LEAST TWO FULL SECONDS , I prefer three seconds because you never know what might happen in front of you and I like going home every night.

Another point of today's post is to Truckers - SECURE YOUR LOAD ! ! !

The overwhelming majority of truck drivers are safe professional drivers with an enormous number of accident free ticket free miles, many even reaching a million safe miles and beyond.

BUT . . . there are a handful of trucks that you don't want to be around whether the driver is unsafe, or the truck or load are unsafe.

Over the years I have seen many truck loads shift (fortunately not mine) and the majority have been because the load was not secured properly in the first place.

A good reference for cargo securement is:

National Safety Code Standard - Cargo Securement


More on road safety at http://www.ezee.ca
Forklift Safety at liftright.net
Or see my photos at donssite.com

2 comments:

Mike Golch said...

It all boils down to taking time time to do it right.

Anonymous said...

man so many accidents.